Sculpting/Armatures

I made the armatures out of aluminium wire and milliput. Thicker wire for the spine and two strands of thinner wire twisted for the arms. Then I bound the parts together. This was the best method, both Darryl and Steve both suggested to go about things in this way rather than going for a very expensive and heavy armature kit (or the flimsy thing i made first!) The college shop is marvellously well stocked and really cheap for these things. I also went to Tiranti on warren Street (a sculpture supplies store) and the London Graphic Centre.

After some trouble with fimo I opted for plasticine heads and hands that I re-sculpted and updated the design from the first versions. Prosperos eyes are now beads and Ariel just has heavy eyelids instead of eyes. Anyway, I’ve learnt so much about puppet making that I had no idea about before, I’m sure if I did another stop-motion project I’d know how to go about it, having made mistakes. One thing with stop-motion is you just have to spend some money on the necessary bits and bobs, I tried to avoid doing that at first, bad idea! if you want them to move. What about the actual stop-motion animation? That’s the next adventure…

Ariel’s head is more feminine than the previous one and not as grotesque as before. In this photo it looks rather like a Peruvian mummy… especially when I add the proper hair!

Prospero’s head. So he’s a pale grey, I added in some elements of the Tanuki, a raccoon-dog native to japan. He’s now a horse-goat-dog-raccoon with the body of a man.