I re-sculpted Trip’s head too. I’ve made around 15 now, but none of them really looked like the drawings I did, some had eyes like a goldfish, and others looked too alien-like/Munch’s The Scream… this one (at the top) is the closest so far. I’ve got two versions the same now, I used a slightly different modeling technique this time it seemed to be more effective! 🙂
I took the plunge and got a professional armature kit (from the helpful guys at http://www.animationsupplies.net/) and began remaking Trip from scratch. It really will make a huge difference to the animation, working with homemade twisted wire armatures is fun, but they are limited and break too easily. I’m really looking forward to animating with the new model. It also seems worth the investment since I plan to make some follow up episodes. It’s thanks to Brook for inspiring me to raise the bar on my animation, she had her armature from the get go and I could see how great it looked. It’s one of the wonderful things about about being in college is you are encouraged to push your work further by fellow students.
It was very fiddly to make this thing for the the first time and took me ages. I had to concentrate so hard to make sure I was getting all the bits right. I still made a few mistakes, but the next one should be easier! The articulation of these joints are awesome!
A few of us have our Shakespeare animations on the BBC/Art Council website THE SPACE. We also did interviews that you can see on the website too. Nice to revisit that project it was such a great collaboration. Thanks a lot to The Space, The RSC, Jo Morrison, Darryl, Steve and Birgitta!