Clay heads

I made these clay heads at the beginning of the animation to help show the characters faces from multiple angles, because my original designs were quite flat.

 

The Group Project…

YouTube Preview Image
When we received Freda Lingstrom’s poster we were delighted to begin working with such an elegant starting point for our animation. We quickly agreed that we would maintain close reference to the dimensions and appearance of the original poster; the focus would be on moving the existing elements within. Horace Taylor’s work inspired us to further simplify the design, creating a colour-block version of  Lingstrom’s original poster for our animation.
We wanted to respond to the clients target audience and aimed our animation at the London Transport Museum’s family oriented demographic. Later in her career Lingstrom was a highly influential figure in British children’s television programs of the 1950s.  We hoped our animation would appeal to children but also to an adult sense of nostalgia.As the animation consisted of only one shot, rather than assign sections to individuals, we met as a group everyday. We found that we worked well together and it was productive to be in the studio and solve any issues that arose and adapt the ideas accordingly.

Done!

So we finished our animation today, the bird song Steph found worked perfectly, and we had time to do some more work on the butterflies. We also adjusted the surround colour of the poster and included the endplates to finish it all off! Everyone did really well, and we definitely had fun making this project.

Putting it all together

We decided we needed to meet up on Sunday at my flat to composite the animation. We did quite well, and managed to stay focused even though it was a beautiful spring day outside. We had to pull complete parts of animation from the many Flash files we were all working on and put them all together in After Effects. Tomorrow we’ll finish it off with some sound! We’ve listened to a variety of birds singing; blackbirds, blue-tits, cuckoos etc.

 

Colouring the girl

For colouring the girl and making her a cutout we used three simple colours. The design of the dress was changed to a very simple yellow shift dress. This has been really useful to get some practise at, but we’ve also learned that a lot of the ways we chose to do things in Flash could have been executed in easier ways. Plenty of things to remember for the next project!

Moving Posters

 by Freda Lingstrom

Today was the briefing for a collaboration with The London Transport Museum. This is the poster we (Steph, Kyle, Alex and I) were assigned. We’ve already discussed some potential ideas. I think some subtle movements would go a long way here. The sentiment set out in her pose is a really good starting point for us. The graphic simplicity and flatness could animate really nicely, with the butterflies flying about and the wind ruffling her skirt. It was also exciting to visit the archive part of CSM and see the original poster, along with some others. A treasure trove at our finger tips! I’m ready to get stuck in to this project.