Prospero prototype head in plasticine. I put on some curly goat horns, but the finished puppet will have twigs for longer antlers. I’m not happy with the eyes, they’re too big. I prefer the designs I did for him with beady black eyes. And of course his hair and beard are missing!
I have this poster on my wall. I was looking at it this morning and realised how useful the design could be for Backdrop 1 of my set. Just goes to show how good it is to have images around you.
I’ve been sculpting a prototype head and hands for Ariel. It looks a bit like a disembodied monster at the moment, but I’m going to put paint some make up on and add a headdress and see how “pretty” I can make it. (Actually in the Dark Phoenix saga of X-men in the 80’s the character called Caliban looked a bit like this!)
This film is just unbelievable! One of those films that you appreciate more and more after you’ve finished watching, if a little challenging to watch at the time. Things of great complexity often are like that, they take longer to interpret but are so rewarding in the end.
I’ve done the animatic, it came to exactly 1 minute, but there are some bits that are unclear. Especially the transformation and the moving parts of the set. I’m really looking forward to some feedback on Monday. I have developed the character design of Ariel quite a bit since doing the drawings for the storyboard. I feel that now I’ve done this, if I began the storyboard all over again it would be much better! I tried to show the costume change in a different way, but actually I think my original idea will work much better. I intended to have the costume “miraculously” transform on the stage, showing Ariel crouching down and then the outer costume pulls off in a flash of lightning! much more like the costume change in Sagi Musume.