So we finished our animation today, the bird song Steph found worked perfectly, and we had time to do some more work on the butterflies. We also adjusted the surround colour of the poster and included the endplates to finish it all off! Everyone did really well, and we definitely had fun making this project.
We decided we needed to meet up on Sunday at my flat to composite the animation. We did quite well, and managed to stay focused even though it was a beautiful spring day outside. We had to pull complete parts of animation from the many Flash files we were all working on and put them all together in After Effects. Tomorrow we’ll finish it off with some sound! We’ve listened to a variety of birds singing; blackbirds, blue-tits, cuckoos etc.
For colouring the girl and making her a cutout we used three simple colours. The design of the dress was changed to a very simple yellow shift dress. This has been really useful to get some practise at, but we’ve also learned that a lot of the ways we chose to do things in Flash could have been executed in easier ways. Plenty of things to remember for the next project!
I feel I’ve learn’t so much on this project. Getting to grips with Flash is taking me a while and some really simple things have taken forever to do, it would be great if I could be more ambitious with this project. That said everyone in the group has worked hard and their perseverance has been really inspiring. Kyle’s been very helpful and patient when I needed to be shown the same thing several times. Animating with symbols is not as easy as it sounds!
We’ve made some good progress with the Moving Poster. It feels like it’s coming together. We’ll have to shift the timing around a bit, but the butterflies look really carefree and the girl is coming to life and into colour. One thing that took us the longest so far was trying to get a movement of the flowers to seem natural, and not as though they were nodding, while in keeping with such a simplified design.
Today was the briefing for a collaboration with The London Transport Museum. This is the poster we (Steph, Kyle, Alex and I) were assigned. We’ve already discussed some potential ideas. I think some subtle movements would go a long way here. The sentiment set out in her pose is a really good starting point for us. The graphic simplicity and flatness could animate really nicely, with the butterflies flying about and the wind ruffling her skirt. It was also exciting to visit the archive part of CSM and see the original poster, along with some others. A treasure trove at our finger tips! I’m ready to get stuck in to this project.