This is what the animation looks like at the moment. We’ve redrawn it all in flash, removed all the text, but maintained the poster dimensions. We’ve kept nearly all the movement with in the oblong in the centre, but allowed the butte flied and the girl to go beyond the frame and into the dark space around it. We hope that all the movements will be visible even on an i-phone, and that’s why we simplified the flowers and the girl to block shapes.
With this in mind we looked back at Horace Taylor’s poster for the London Transport, especially this one where the people are reduced to bright flat colours…
In keeping with his very graphic style we looked at Marimekko prints, and how they simplified and flattened flowers to make a bold print.
We looked at the movement of real flowers and how they make circular motions in the wind. We also looked at the flight of many butterflies, especially the famous Monarch butterfly.
Today we had our second group meeting and re-worked the storyboard and finalised the timing for our animation. We also developed the idea a lot more and simplified the movements and design of the girl. After chopping up the poster in Photoshop and doing some work with the puppet pin tool in After Effects we decided that doing a flash animation would be better for what we want to do. We’ve decided to maintain the dimensions of the poster, but allow some of the action to go outside of the border and into the frame surrounding the image. Now we have a really clear idea we can begin the final animation!
We spent the morning being guided round the museum depot. It was fascinating to be shown a visual history of London Transport through the poster designs. The depot contains many of the original paintings used for the posters. One example showed how the artist envisaged the future of London Transport. Some designs were the height of the avant-garde, and we discovered posters by some well know artists, including Man Ray’s pair of posters (sketched in the first picture.)
Today was the briefing for a collaboration with The London Transport Museum. This is the poster we (Steph, Kyle, Alex and I) were assigned. We’ve already discussed some potential ideas. I think some subtle movements would go a long way here. The sentiment set out in her pose is a really good starting point for us. The graphic simplicity and flatness could animate really nicely, with the butterflies flying about and the wind ruffling her skirt. It was also exciting to visit the archive part of CSM and see the original poster, along with some others. A treasure trove at our finger tips! I’m ready to get stuck in to this project.