At the animatic crit I got some really useful feedback. Everyone seems to be saying that the whole animation needs to be more dramatic, more explicit. Especially at the point of Ariel’s transformation. This is great because I completely agree, I felt the same way when I played back the finished animatic. The more recent Medea inspired character designs will also fit with this, showing a more obvious shift in costume than I managed to express in my first animatic. In fact there were quite a few things I really didn’t convey in the story boards, for example the sets, the shift in costume and the double exposures that were really important. I think I just needed a lot more detail and more panels, so the idea was clearer. Good practice though! I’m going to work on the improved one today.
I want to add lighting effects and stronger camera angles, and possibly even limit the back drops to plain black, and have a single sliding one when the moon appears at the end. Looking at Kenneth Anger’s Inauguration of the Pleasure Dome [above] is really helpful for inspiring visual drama; the ornate style of opera combined with the makeshift aesthetic of renegade filmmaking, the extreme coloured lighting with the context suggested by a few props.
Roll on some operatic melodrama!
I have this poster on my wall. I was looking at it this morning and realised how useful the design could be for Backdrop 1 of my set. Just goes to show how good it is to have images around you.
I’ve been sculpting a prototype head and hands for Ariel. It looks a bit like a disembodied monster at the moment, but I’m going to put paint some make up on and add a headdress and see how “pretty” I can make it. (Actually in the Dark Phoenix saga of X-men in the 80’s the character called Caliban looked a bit like this!)
This film is just unbelievable! One of those films that you appreciate more and more after you’ve finished watching, if a little challenging to watch at the time. Things of great complexity often are like that, they take longer to interpret but are so rewarding in the end.
I’ve done the animatic, it came to exactly 1 minute, but there are some bits that are unclear. Especially the transformation and the moving parts of the set. I’m really looking forward to some feedback on Monday. I have developed the character design of Ariel quite a bit since doing the drawings for the storyboard. I feel that now I’ve done this, if I began the storyboard all over again it would be much better! I tried to show the costume change in a different way, but actually I think my original idea will work much better. I intended to have the costume “miraculously” transform on the stage, showing Ariel crouching down and then the outer costume pulls off in a flash of lightning! much more like the costume change in Sagi Musume.
Above is the Japanese version of the Poster. I want to include trinkets round the face. Attached to the headdress I will make. And something of the expression in Medea’s eyes.